Egypt hatshepsut temple

           

 

  

 


 
  Copyright www.egypt-cairo.com

 

Hatshepsut temple is one of the most beautiful and dramatical mortuary temples. It was made by the Hatshepsut’s chancellor and architect-engineer Senmut, between the 7th and the 22nd years of the queen’s reign. The temple is also known as Deir el-Bahri, after the former monastery that was built in the Coptic era. When the temple was built there were terraces, gardens with rare plants and trees like frankincense trees. The place from where these plants were brought, Punt, appears on the paintings that decorate one of the colonnade walls. An avenue, three line and with sphinxes led to the temple, and from a terrace to another are ramps. Three colonnaded terraces having two ramps were in the temple’s original plan. The lowest terrace has porticoes which are out of proportion and which suffered a restoration in 1906 to protect the reliefs that depict the Hatshepsut’s birth. The middle terrace South side has reliefs that show the expedition of the queen from Red Sea to Punt. To the upper terrace leads a second ramp; this terrace is closed to the public. Osirian statues illustrating Hatshepsut decorate the columns of this portico. Numerous of these statues were the victims of the Thutmose III destruction. The temple’s walls are engraved with texts that describe the gifts offered to the queen and to the king of Punt, the voyage to Punt, the products that were exported from there like trees, ivory, cinnamon, gold, ebony, myrrh, incense and aromatic wood as well as different animals.

 
 

 

Egypt Hatshepsut Temple

 

 
   

 

Copyrights for all pictures on this site, it is and remains the property of www.egypt-cairo.com

   2007 - 2011  www.egypt-cairo.com