Egypt memphis area

           

 

  

 


 
  Copyright www.egypt-cairo.com

 

Memphis was the capital of Egypt founded by Menes, the king who made the unity between the Upper Egypt with the Lower Egypt, in 3100 BC. The city’s original name was Ineb-Hedj, which means ‘the White Wall’; during the Middle Kingdom the city's name was Ankh-Tawy (That Which Binds the Two Lands). Memphis is the Greek translation of the Men-nefer, meaning ‘the good place’. At the beginning, Memphis area was created as a fortress but the city became the religious and administrative center of Egypt, as well as one of the ancient world's most important cities. The god worshipped in Memphis was a pagan one called Ptah, identified with Vulcan and Hephaistos. Around Mit Rahina (a small village) can be seen the fractions of Memphis which are in fact some ruins of the Ptah temple, a temple that it is possible to had been a very large one. The ruins were excavated from 1908 to 1913 and include a colossus of Ramses II, made from red granite, and the Alabaster Sphinx. This statue is made from one single alabaster piece, has 80 tones, it is long of 24 feet and high of 13 feet. Although the city had numerous gardens, palaces and temples, today only a few ruins remained from the old city. There also some texts papyrus about Memphis, found in different areas from Egypt which have details about the city. It seems that the Egyptian old capital disappeared because of the Muslim conquerors` invasion of the city, in 641, when the capital was moved from Memphis to Fustat, a part of Cairo. On the Saqqara plateau is the Memphis` ancient necropolis that can be visited by public, as well as the sculptures museum. The necropolis has pyramids, temples, beautiful funerary monuments, rock tombs and adorned mastabas.

 
 

 

Egypt Memphis Area

 

 
   

 

Copyrights for all pictures on this site, it is and remains the property of www.egypt-cairo.com

   2007 - 2011  www.egypt-cairo.com