Egypt Masjid Muhammad Ali

           

 

  

 


 
 © Copyright www.egypt-cairo.com

 

Muhammad Ali was born in 1769, in Kavala, Greece and died in 1849, on the second day of August. Before he entered in the Ottoman army he was a tobacco merchant. During the Muhammad Ali reign, the army was modernized, following the French model; economy was prosperous too, the nation income being high. Due to Muhammad Ali, Egypt’s cotton industry developed. The hospitals succeeded in eliminating the bubonic plague and cholera. Alexandria’s population grew from 4,000 people to 143,000. Many canals and roads were built, and the printed press appeared from the first time in the Arabic Islam. And the list of his achievements can continue. The Masjid Muhammad Ali was built in the Cairo’s Citadel and it was projected by Youssef Bushnaq, a Greek architect. The Masjid’s construction begun in 1830 and ended in 1875, by the Egypt`s ruler Muhammad Ali Pasha. The construction was made in the Ottoman style and it was used a huge quantity of alabaster from BanÓ Sueif; that’s the reason why the Masjid is also called the Masjid Alabaster. The Masjid`s style of decoration was influenced by the European architecture. The construction amazes with its two minarets of 270 foot that dominate the Cairo's sky. The Othman, Abu-Bakr, Ali and Omar circular engravings are on the central dome (the largest one). The Northern courtyard wall exposes a green-bluish clock, a donation of the King Louis-Philippe of France. The king received in exchange a pharahonic obelisk that exists in the Paris` Place de la Concorde. The Muhammad Ali Masjid`s was projected as a sanctuary having a square form and covered with a dome that is flanked by 4 semi-domes. The courtyard offers to its visitors an incredible view of the Cairo, being an important touristic attraction.

 
 

 

Egypt Masjid Muhammad Ali

 

 
   

 

© Copyrights for all pictures on this site, it is and remains the property of www.egypt-cairo.com

  © 2007 - 2011  www.egypt-cairo.com